Family Night Hikes (NEW FOR 2021)
Join other families and meet new friends on our Family Night Hikes. The South Mountain YMCA Camps boasts over 600 acres of mountain top property full of local history and exciting trails. We will explore different trails and make our way to the top of Cushion Peak (1,116 feet above sea level) which looks over the entire Reading area. Afterwards, share stories and company around the campfire with a hot chocolate and Smore’s reception. The cost is $15 for adults (ages 12 and over) and $10 for youths (ages 4 to 11) and free for 3 and under. Night Hikes Depart at 7pm and return by 9pm.
Family Night Hike 2021 Dates:
- Family Night Hike: May 1st, 7pm to 9pm
- Family Night Hike: May 15th, 7pm to 9pm
- Family Night Hike: September 18th, 7pm to 9pm
- Family Night Hike: November 20th, 7pm to 9pm
Guided Night Hikes
Join other outdoor enthusiasts and meet new friends on our Saturday Guided Night Hikes. The South Mountain YMCA Camps boasts over 600 acres of mountain top property full of local history and exciting trails. We will explore different trails and make our way to the top of Cushion Peak (1,116 feet above sea level) which looks over the entire Reading area. Afterwards, share stories and company around the campfire with a wine and cheese party. The cost is $20.00. Hikes depart at 8:00 PM and Return at 10:00 PM.
Guided Night Hikes 2021 Dates:
- Guided Night Hike: May 8th, 8pm to 10pm
- Guided Night Hike: May 22nd, 8pm to 10pm
- Guided Night Hike: June 5th , 8pm to 10pm
- Guided Night Hike: September 4th, 8pm to 10pm
- Dog Lovers Guided Night Hike: October 2nd, 8pm to 10pm
- Dog Lovers Guided Night Hike: November 6th, 8pm to 10pm
- Guided Night Hike: November 13th, 8pm to 10pm
Dog Lovers Guided Night Hikes are open to all, whether you have a dog of your own or not, please be sure to bring a leash for your furry friend.
Private Night Hikes are available upon request and availability of the Camp. A 10 person ($150) minimum required. Vouchers accepted. Email Becky Brandow at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
We will meet at 7:45 PM at the Bynden Wood Lodge and hikes will depart at 8:00 PM. We will return to the Bynden Wood Lodge at 10:00 PM. We are located at: 201 Cushion Peak Road, Reinholds, PA 17569.
We offer two different Options for the hike:
- The Cushion Peak Adventure (more difficult): This hike is 2.5 miles round trip with approximately 380 ft. of elevation gain. The final leg of the hike is a bit steep and the trail conditions are loose gravel, rocks, sticks and roots (typical hiking trail) This is our most popular route and has a few extra historical landmarks. This hike takes approximately 45 minutes to reach the top.
- The Cushion Peak Classic (easier): This hike takes you up the access road to the summit of Cushion Peak. The Hike is 2.0 miles round Trip and has an elevation gain of 150 ft. The trail is a wide gravel road with a moderate but steady incline. This hike take approximately 25 minutes to reach the top.
Once at the top, we will have a wine and cheese reception. We will also have water available. Typically guests stay at the top for about 45 minutes. There is a 1 mile hike back to the parking lot. Our Guides will take groups of people down periodically. Please inform your guide when you are ready to leave and they will take you down the mountain.
What to bring:
– Comfortable clothing (try to stay away from cotton)
– Water Bottle
– Identification (verify age for wine)
Q: What happens if it is raining?
A: Night hikes are rain or shine. The wine and Cheese Reception will be moved indoors in the event of rain.
Q: Can we bring our own alcoholic beverages?
A: Please do not bring your own alcohol.
Q: How difficult is the hike?
A: This would depend on your fitness level, experience hiking and will power. Both hikes are appropriate for beginner hikers. The hardest part of the “more difficult hike” is the equivalent of walking up 20 flights of stairs.
Q: Should I bring a flashlight?
A: You are welcome to bring a flashlight. Often we offer an option for a night sensory hike where we compete the hike with no lights as our eyes adjust to the dark. This is very popular and you will be amazed on how your eyes adjust.